REPORTS TO: Executive Director
DIRECT REPORTS: Staff and other employees who may be temporarily assigned; Volunteers
The Construction Manager is responsible for the overall construction process of the Affiliate in accordance with the direction, policies and objectives set by the Board of Directors.
Responsibilities include the management of the construction of three or more houses per year, from planning to permitting and through the final completion of punch list items. Primary duties include supervising construction staff, directing and training skilled and unskilled volunteers, directing and monitoring subcontractors, developing each house construction schedule, ordering the proper materials for just-in-time use according to the construction schedule, and ordering and monitoring inspections and assurance and compliance to appropriate building codes. Work may be at multiple sites. Construction Manager works closely with Executive Director and the Building and ABWK Committees to improve building process and develop and implement a blueprint to successfully increase affordable home production.
- Coordinate activities of new house construction, including but not limited to: 1) purchase of construction materials, tools and equipment (within established budgets and in consultation with Executive Director), 2) hire subcontractors where needed, 3) pull appropriate permits and call for inspections, and 4) oversee new house construction.
- Specifications and quality requirements, supervises overall construction activity and provides leadership to construction activity, including all paid sub-contractors.
- Plan each work day based on crew size, and required tools and materials.
- Prepare sites for construction, including clearing and foundation work.
- Assist homeowners in the following activities, including but not limited to: 1) educating homeowners in routine house maintenance, 2) conducting punch list for closing, 3) conducting warranty work.
- Responsible for quality control, including review of sub-contractor and volunteer work.
- Finish projects within established time frame
- Responsible for safety at construction site, including but not limited to: 1) implementation of emergency plan, 2) ensure that equipment and tools are in good working condition, 3) train volunteers in safety practices, and 4) monitor volunteers, including minors, to ensure safe use of tools and equipment according to age, skill and OSHA and HFHI regulations.
- Maintain order and upkeep of construction warehouse.
- Coordinate volunteers ranging from beginner to skilled in construction tasks.
- Organize experienced volunteers to lead work groups.
- Ensure that all volunteers have signed in and completed their liability waiver appropriately.
- Set project budgets for houses and make adjustments accordingly.
- Review billing statements and authorize payment accordingly.
- Executes pertinent responsibilities of fiscal policies, i.e. credit card.
- Solicit donations of materials and professional labor and maintain donor relationships.
- Obtain competitive bids for materials and services.
- Create and maintain job schedules and project files.
- Work with board/committee members to obtain in kind donations of material and services.
- Represent Brookings Area Habitat for Humanity at events, and attend conferences as needed.
- Supports the mission and programs of Brookings Area Habitat for Humanity
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- A strong background in residential home construction
- Must possess excellent people skills since candidate will work with people of all ages, races, faiths, backgrounds and skill levels
- Ability to establish a good working relationship with volunteers and homeowner families
- Commitment to Habitat for Humanity’s Mission
- An absolute commitment to job safety
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Computer literacy (email, office)
Brookings Area Habitat for Humanity is an equal-opportunity employer. We seek to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all of our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve and National Guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.